Blog Post #3

                            

As I have read and analyzed several news articles regarding the Black Lives Matter protests, as well as certain events following them, I've since realized which events are protected under the First Amendment and which are not.  First of all, the fifth clause of the First Amendment allows citizens the right to peacefully assemble, which includes peaceful protesting. According to an article titled "Nearly all Black Lives Matter protests are Peaceful despite Trump Narrative, report finds" from http://www.theguardian.com/, the majority of Black Lives Matter protests between May and August have been peaceful nationwide, as 93% of the protests did not include injuries or destruction to property. 

I believe the statistics of this story correlate with the freedom of assembly, as the First Amendment condones citizens congregating together peacefully in their communities to protest against important issues, such as police brutality and racial injustice.

Links: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/05/nearly-all-black-lives-matter-protests-are-peaceful-despite-trump-narrative-report-finds

   


It was reported in another news article from https://abc7.com/looting-protests-in-los-angeles-george-floyd-black-lives-matter/6391666/, that 56 people were apprehended in Los Angeles for committing crimes, such as looting, during the Black Lives Matter protests. Many of the people arrested were charged with damaging property, breaking into stores and stealing merchandise, as well as setting fire to local businesses. 

The events in this story correlate with the Bedrock Principles, which articulate that the First Amendment is not absolute or a shield against law of general applicability. Therefore, it was not a violation of the First Amendment for the police to arrest the people who were committing these crimes, as laws against looting and arson apply to everybody regardless of the situation. The First Amendment also does not condone stealing or destroying property.

Links: https://abc7.com/looting-protests-in-los-angeles-george-floyd-black-lives-matter/6391666/

   


As angry and dejected as I am by the continuous murders of unarmed Black people in this country, I am also amazed at the massive turnout of protesters worldwide. It seems that many people of all races and ethnicities are finally beginning to understand the hardships and oppression that Black people have endured in this country for the past 400 years, and they are determined to fight for the justice and equality that is long overdue. As a black woman in America, I worry about not only my life, but also the lives of my family members and other people who look like me. 

I first learned about police brutality when I was nine, and my dad told me that he and my oldest brother had been victims of it. Hearing their experiences not only made me want to cry, but is also made me furious. Therefore, I can empathize with most of the angry protesters. 

While I do not condone the looting aspect, I understand that a large aspect of the violence is the equivalence of people boiling over, they are tired and frustrated by the 400+ years of racial injustice in this country. Most of all, I am hoping that justice will finally be served for the innocent victims who lost their lives at the hands of racist police officers.

 

                  

                      

   

                         

             

                            

There is no excuse. All four of these victims and countless others, should be alive right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 15-Online Presence

Blog Post #2-History and Workings of U.S. Supreme Court

My top 5 news sources